Monday, September 20, 2010

ARGENTINA Y BICENTINARIO [ARGENTINA AND BICENTENNIAL]


Amigos de blog, ¿cómo estai? Since it has been the trend to start off my recent blogs by apologizing for the lack of updates, I have decided not to break said trend. Entonces (the best Spanish transition word that exists.. I use it for practically everything), I'm sorry.. I apologize.. Lo siento.. permiso.. perdón.. disculpa... Take your pick of apologetic words and phrases. It has been a super, tremendously busy past week and half or so. I've spent my last two weekends in true Chilean style (más o menos | more or less).. and by that I mean by visiting Argentina (not so Chilean) and by celebrating Chile's Bicentennial (much more Chilean).

Two Fridays ago, some of my gringo friends and I trekked the eight hour bus ride through the gorgeous Andes Mountains to spend a week in Mendoza, Argentina. Although it's nearly impossible to share the entire experience with you (too many inside jokes and stories to be told), I'll give it my best attempt.

Getting into Argentina was súper rápido (really fast) and surprisingly easy. Getting back into Chile, however, was not that easy... and definitely not that fast. With Chile's strict border control policies and security procedures, it took us more than two hours to get back into the country. Although we enjoyed taking in the absolutely beautiful view of the snow covered Andes Mountains surrounding us, two hours was definitely longer than we had bargained for. But at last, we experienced success (with only a few minor mishaps, thanks Jamie... we owe it all to you.. kind of) and crossed the border back into Chile.

While in Mendoza, we took a bike tour through the countryside of Mendoza. Can you say wine country? Yes? How about in Spanish? Anywho, Mendoza is packed full of vineyards, farmers, olive oil producers, and chocolate manufacturers. We spent nearly six hours biking through and visiting many of these vineyards, while enjoying the breathtaking view. Mendoza is truly beautiful. During the bike tour, we stopped at a beer manufacturer to indulge in some delicious empanadas while sitting on bales of hay and being surrounded by the Andes Mountains.

After the tour, a few of us decided to head out to a nearby restaurant to indulge (yet again) in some famous Argentinian steak. Lemme tell you, there's a reason they are "famous." So good! We also decided to indulge (third & fourth times) in some ice cream. Throughout two nights a few of us consumed 1.5 kilograms of ice cream. For those of you in the States, that's approximately 3.306 pounds, yes pounds, of ice cream. It cost us a total of less than 9USD. Now that's a good bargain. You know I love my ice cream.

We also spent our time visiting many of the plazas that are located in Mendoza, reliving our childhoods by playing in the playgrounds of the aforementioned plazas, stepping foot into one of the most well known chocolate factories in Argentina , visiting the largest park I have seen in my life, eating pizza, jumping on hostel beds (well, that was only me...), and riding a double-decker bus back into Chile. All in all, it was an exciting, fun, and wonderful trip! Some notes: Argentina is surprisingly different from Chile, as Argentinians
  1. modulate their words while speaking (hallelujah for understanding every single word!)
  2. are more calm and laid back than Chileans (I never thought that was possible)
  3. look and act more European (who knew?)
Those are my mere observations after less than four full days in Argentina. Take them as you will.

Entonces (favorite transition word!), back in Chile we just wrapped up celebrating their Bicentennial. Lemme tell you, it was one big deal. Stores and businesses closed for the entire weekend, beginning on Friday until now (Monday). There were fireworks on two separate occasions, ramadas (carnivals) complete with games, vendors, food, and rides (don't worry, I resisted the urge to try out a rickety and shady Chilean carnival ride), and enough asados (barbecues) and comida (food) to keep anyone happy for a long time. Oh, did I mention the cherry on top, creme of the crop? (look, I rhymed)... no classes!

In other thrilling news headlines.. James's ability to spell accurately in any language has taken a dramatic tumble. Learning a second language really screws with one's ability to spell... yikes! Once a pretty darn good speller (especially back in my elementary and middle school days), I've become more reliant on spell checkers... thank goodness for Firefox's auto-correction feature. I'm in love. (Sorry, Firefox, although your auto-correction idea is genius and a most wonderful invention, I'm taken). Seriously though, this spelling thing is driving me up a wall and across the ceiling! Ay!!

Classes start back up again tomorrow, and I am "supposed" to get back the results of my first exam. Take note of the quoted key word in the previous sentence. I have been "supposedly" getting my exam back for the previous two weeks. My professor has assured us (for the fourth time) that we will indeed get it back tomorrow. I'm not holding my breath, that's for sure. Although I am nervous and excited.. it's my hardest class. We shall see.

Thanks for sticking it out and waiting patiently (or not so patiently) for my posts. Until next time,

Paz y amor,
JMF

1 comment:

  1. Wow! It looks like you really enjoyed Argentina. I will someday visit down there too... Spence also loved it down there for the steak, wine and the European vibe. Not to mention the view! I'm ready to use my passport someday for someplace other than Canada! Have a wonderful time and give the family my love when they arrive!

    Love,
    Becky

    ReplyDelete