Sunday, August 15, 2010

CASI UN MES! [ALMOST ONE MONTH!]


Again, I would like to begin by apologizing for the lack of tremendously exhilarating and on-the-edge-of-your-seat-ing posts. So, ¡lo siento muchisimo! I also feel that I should provide you with a proper disclaimer, because I really don't have any idea where this blog post is going or where it will end up. "Just sayin.'"

Life in Chile is still great! I'm heading into my fourth week here and I cannot believe it has been that long since I got on a plane to live 5198.20 miles away from home for five months. Wow, really? Although I miss a mountain of things from home (i.e, consistently hot showers, central heating, REAL Double Stuf Oreos, properly functioning wireless Internet, and, of course, my loving family & girlfriend), there are things that I love about Chile that the U.S. should take a hint from (i.e., empanadas, a lack of regard for punctuality, public transportation, and a population people who open their houses, pantries, and hearts for you even if you decline multiple times). Anywho, what I'm trying to say is that despite being without many of the things that bring me comfort and joy back home, I have really fallen in love with this country and its people.

I am already starting my third week of classes, which is hard to believe on its own. Add to that the fact that we haven't even passed the midway point of August and it starts to sound even crazier . As for classes, I am currently signed up for 20 credits, and will probably drop one of the classes. Here's the UNofficial list so far:

Spanish Communication and Chilean Culture
Advanced Grammar for Foreigners
Twentieth Century Chilean Poetry
History of Latin America During the Twentieth Century
History of Culture

My history of culture will probably be the one that gets the boot. Tuesday will be the first (and probably last) day that I have the class; last week was supposed to be the first week of history classes, but due to a "corte de agua," I thankfully regretfully did not have to sit through that class. We shall see how it goes tomorrow. As for the rest of my classes, I have no complaints. My Chilean Poetry professor could try to modulate her words, not give us 120 pages of poetry to read a week, and not talk to the blackboard the entire time. Like I said, no complaints here.

In regards to learning Spanish, a nearly mutually understood conversation at the metro station the other day with the man processing my student discount card has me feeling not too shabby. Although there are times (like at Jumbo a week ago), when I struggle to even remotely recognize a Spanish word in someone's sentences. When in doubt, say "no." I have 4 more months to work up to being able to understand almost everything. Bring. it. on.

Well, that's all I have for right now. I'm off to read (a lot) of Pablo Neruda. Un montón de gracias a mi profesora. (A mountain of thanks to my professor).

Paz y Amor,
JMF

No comments:

Post a Comment