Monday, August 2, 2010

A TRÁVES DE LOS OJOS DE UN GRINGO [through the eyes of a foreigner]

Lo siento, but it has been a while since the last time I got to writing. So much has happened since I left the States and blogged from the Detroit Metro Airport. In case you haven't already figured out from Facebook, friends and family, or myself that I am safe and sound 5,000 miles away from home, I am. After a rocky plane landing through dense fog and a visibility of nearly zero, we landed in Arturo Merino Benítez International Airport in Santiago at approximately 7:39 a.m. We spent the morning going through customs, meeting the ISA staff, exchanging our US Dollars for Chilean Pesos, and getting to know each other.

We spent the remainder of the week in Santiago exploring, touring, and learning (oh, and freezing). Because it's winter here and because the majority of Chileans do not have central heating in their houses, hotels, or apartments, I along with many of my other gringo friends have been freezing our little American butts off. Every morning I dread the fresh, cold air that is waiting for me when I emerge from under my five blankets. I run to the shower, and wait for the calefont [water heater] to warm the water, while I stand there freezing. All I can think about is warmth. Although this has the potential to be something about the country that really upsets me, it doesn't. I'm amazed by the incredible amount of energy Chileans save; maybe the U.S. could learn a thing or two or three....

I met my host family last Sunday, the 25th, after a bus ride into Valparaíso, watching the sun set on this beautiful port city. The family is really wonderful and my Chilean mom is grrreat (just like Frosted Flakes). However, they typically do not draw out their syllables like Tony the Tiger. Which brings me to my next topic... the language. Since I arrived in Chile, the running joke here has been the great difference between the Spanish language and the Spanish that Chileans speak, which are two. completely. different. things. The ISA staff and even the International Director at my university are constantly saying things like, "Don't worry, it's not you. It's us," and "I'm sorry, I speak Chilean, but I'll try to speak Spanish for you during this presentation." Chilean Spanish has literally hundreds and hundreds of slang words and phrases that are completely unique to the area (Chilenismos). If you think that makes it hard enough, just wait. Chileans are notorious for being some of the fastest speakers in all of Latin & South America, are constantly drop the "s" of words ending as such, and often change the "tú" form of words. Example: ¿Cómo estás? = ¿Cómo estai? HUH!? Anywho, it's been fun (yet sometimes frustrating) to make an attempt to understand and communicate. It's like learning Spanish all over again, but I kind of like it.

That's all I have for now. More updates to come... Stay tuned!

Paz y Amor,
JMF

No comments:

Post a Comment